Laurie A. Thompson, Esq.
E-mail: [email protected]
Laurie A. Thompson, Esquire was born on April 11, 1962 in Dade City, Florida. She attended The American University where she graduated with honors with a B.S. Degree in Political Science in December 1983. After college Ms. Thompson worked as a legislative assistant for a congressman on Capitol Hill and later had the privilege of working in the Reagan White House as a legislative assistant to the Director of the Office of Management & Budget.
After leaving the Reagan Administration, Ms. Thompson attended the Florida State University College of Law and graduated with honors obtaining her J.D. in May 1991. She was recruited out of law school by the international law firm Holland & Knight, L.P., began working in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office in 1991 and became a member of both the Florida Bar (1991) and the Washington, D.C. Bar (1993).
Ms. Thompson began her legal career as a trademark and intellectual property attorney in Washington, D.C. In 1994, Ms. Thompson moved to Holland & Knight’s Miami office and practiced zoning and land use law as well as commercial litigation which practice primarily involved defending fortune 500 corporations against large anti-trust lawsuits and white color criminal investigations undertaken by inspectors general for various federal agencies. Ms. Thompson became a partner at Holland & Knight in 1998.
In 2002, Ms. Thompson moved to Boca Raton and joined a boutique litigation firm where she primarily litigated on behalf of asset based lenders and factors in state and federal courts around the county becoming an expert in UCC Article 9 issues. Additionally, Ms. Thompson represented various creditors in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
In 2010, Ms. Thompson founded her own firm, Laurie A. Thompson, P.A., and became Of Counsel to the law firm of Weiner & Thompson, P.A., where she collaborates with its partners and staff representing her clients’ interests on general business issues and litigation involving employment law, construction law, landlord/tenant law, land use and zoning, foreclosure and foreclosure defense, creditor’s rights in bankruptcy, and general contract disputes. Ms. Thompson joined the firm as partner in 2012, forming Weiner & Thompson. She looks forward to contributing to the firm’s growth in the years to come.
- The Florida Bar, The District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Admitted pro hac vice to various state and federal courts throughout the United States
- Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Contract Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Foreclosure Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- Trademark Law
- Appellate Law
- Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce (2010-present)
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers (FAWL), Board of Directors (2010-present)
- Child Care Standards and Improvement Working Group
- Voting Precinct Captain (2004)
- Florida Voting Rights Coalition (2004; 2008)
- Publications & Lectures
- “Universal School Lunch Program May Remain a Dream Due to the Savings and Loan Debacle,” School Food Service Journal, August 1990.
Published Legal Opinions
- Fresh Capital Financial Services, Inc. v. Bridgeport Capital Services, Inc., 891 So.2d 1142 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005)
- Attorney at Law Magazine (Vol. 3 – No. 5 – 2014)